Christmas is all about celebrating Jesus, spending time with family, gift giving, and Noche Buena food!
As moms, we have to plan out our menu well for Christmas Eve so our family can truly enjoy the Noche Buena feast. A Filipino Christmas isn’t complete without it! We’ve compiled recipes for you moms to help you plan your Noche Buena meal time.
Noche Buena Food
Chicken Macaroni Salad
The chicken macaroni salad is a Filipino staple! One good thing about it is it’s easy to make. Try this recipe!
- 500g salad macaroni
- 500g chicken breast fillet, cut into half or quarters
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/4 cup raisin
- 1/2 cup cubed cheddar cheese
- 1 small bottle sweet pickle relish
- water to boil
- salt and pepper to taste
- sugar (optional)
- Fill a pot with water enough to submerge the chicken pieces. Bring the water to boil. Once the water is boiling, add 1 teaspoon salt and put the chicken pieces in the pot until fully submerged. Add more water if necessary. Boil the chicken for about 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Cooked chicken should be white and can be easily pulled apart by fork or with hands.
- Shred the chicken into very thin strips by hand. Set aside.
- Cook the salad macaroni according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the macaroni, chicken, mayonnaise, diced carrots, raisin and sweet pickle relish. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix in a bit of sugar, if preferred.
- Add cheddar cheese and toss.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate the salad for at least 1 hour.
- Transfer to a serving plate once cold. Add mayonnaise if macaroni salad is dry.
- Taste and enjoy!
Every Christmas season, hams fly off the freezers and shelves of our supermarkets. There are many popular brands of hams that can be easily bought from your neighborhood supermarket. However, if you want special, quality ham, you can also check out a delicatessen like Santi’s. They sell their special honey-glazed ham that is super moist and delicious.
Queso de Bola
Queso de bola is a favorite item to pair with ham. Thus, it makes its way to the list of favorite Noche Buena items as well. Marca Piña is a favorite in our household, but if you want to seek a comparison between the best brands, check out Pepper.ph’s Queso de Bola’s article.
Don’t miss these favorite food items for your Noche Buena mommies! We hope you enjoyed this article.